Historical data about the region
The first monasteries in Athos peninsula were founded in the 10th century. One of them is the Zygou monastery, or Fragokastro, in which St. Athanasios the Athonite, founder of Megistis Lavras monastery lived almost a year. This monastery, which is lately being reconstructed, has the great privilege of being the only one outside Mount Athos, therefore, it can be visited by women. In early 14th century, the Vatopediou monastery built the byzantine tower located in the SW corner of the village for the protection of the dependency. It is the largest and best preserved in Halkidiki. In 19th century, after the earthquake, the last floor was demolished. It was then that it was repaired and took its final form. At the same time, its supporting buildings were built.
After the Asia Minor disaster, refuges from the islands of Marmaras in Propontida, arrived at the village and settled in the tower, the nearby buildings and in tents. In 1926, a German company built the first houses of the village, some of which are still preserved. Later, residents built the church and the school, and a community under the name of “Prosforion” started to form, later named “Pyrgos” and around 1960 it took its final name as “Ouranoupoli”.
In 1928, the pair of Loch who settled in the tower became a part of the life in the village. The pair’s cooperation, using designs copied from monasteries’ codes, together with women familiar with the art of weaving, laid the foundations for a local industry that gave work to many families.